||Area: 49,035 thousand-sq. km|
Population: 5.42 millions inhabitants.
1. The institution responsible for national and other measurement standards and the scientific metrology in Slovakia is the Slovak Institute of Metrology (SMU) functioning according to the Act on Metrology as a national institute of metrology.
It is charged with the following main activities:
· implementation, improvement, maintenance and comparison of Slovak national standards of quantities and their measurement units at the international level, as well as transfer of their values to secondary standards;
· representation of the Slovak Republic in international metrology organisations;
· carrying out of research and scientific-technical development in the field of metrology;
· calibration of working standards and working instruments;
· verification of the legally controlled measuring instruments;
· carrying out of pattern approval of measuring instruments;
· supervision over the realisation of Slovak Certified Reference Materials;
· elaboration of technical regulations, decrees to the Act on Metrology which determine technical requirements, methods of verification of measuring instruments subject to metrological control;
· education and training of specialists for legal metrology and industrial calibration laboratories;
· certification of personnel for metrology;
· performance of specialised and technical activities in the field of accreditation and certification bodies and other specialists dealing with technical measurements.
Director General: Dr. Martin Halaj
Address: Karloveská 63, 842 55 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Telephone: +421 2 602 94 491
Fax: +421 2 654 29 592
2. The institutions responsible for legal metrology are:
Slovak Office of Standards, Metrology and Testing (UNMS) as the central steering body of the state administration in the field of metrology.
The main tasks and activities of the UNMS in the field of metrology are:
· elaboration and realisation of the state policy in metrology;
· preparation of legislative and legal rules (acts and decrees) referring to metrology, standardisation and testing;
· steering of metrology in the state in the scope given by the Act on Metrology, including subordinate metrology institutions (Slovak Institute of Metrology (SMU), Slovak Standards Institute (SUTN), Technical Testing Institute (TSU), Slovak Legal Metrology (SLM), Slovak National Accreditation Service (SNAS) and Slovak Metrology Inspectorate (SMI));
· methodical supervision of metrological activities.
President of UNMS: Ms. Lucia Gocníková
Address: Štefanovičova 3, P.O. Box 76, 810 05 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Telephone: +421 2 5249 6847, 8030
Fax: +421 2 5249 1050
Slovak Legal Metrology, non-profit organisation (SLM, n.o.) is charged with the following main activities:
· verification of legally controlled measuring instruments;
· calibration of reference and working standards for industry;
· calibration of ordinary measuring instruments for customers;
· carrying out of pattern evaluation of measuring instruments;
· carring out of interlaboratory comparisons.
Director General: Dr. Jaromír Markovič
Address: 31 Hviezdoslavova, 975 90 Banská Bystrica, Slovak Republic
Telephone: +421 48 4719122
+421 48 4719125
Fax: +421 48 4719158
Slovak Metrology Inspectorate (SMI) – a subordinate institution of the UNMS.
Its main task is to perform the state metrology supervision over the compliance with the Law on Metrology and Decrees and supervision over measuring instruments and measurements in the Slovak Republic.
Director: Mr. Ľudovít Koppan
Address: Štefanovičova 3, 811 04 Bratislava, Slovak Republic
Telephone: +421 2 5262 2722, 2723
Fax: +421 2 455 25 473
Other institutions in the field of legal metrology are authorised bodies. These institutions are authorised by the UNMS SR for verification of specified types of legally controlled measuring instruments.
3. Institutions responsible for calibration service.
Services in calibration of measuring instruments are carried out mainly by stand-alone calibration laboratories, calibration laboratories established in the framework of factories or other organisations. Part of those laboratories is accredited by SNAS according to the ISO/IEC 17025 standard. Both SMU and SLM provide calibration services as well.